[lbo-talk] pomo cultural lefties who valorize the poor

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 28 07:53:42 PDT 2005

> CB: This discussion is not very clear.
>
> You are saying "writers" who do what, now ?

Have a tendency to whitewash (no pun intended :)) the deplorable actions and choices of the lower classes on the grounds that the oppressed people can do no wrong. Check my reply to Michael Dawson in this thread for examples of such choices.

I did not include any "black-specific" examples in that list but I could. These are, inter alia, gang and criminal activities that victimize poor black communities, enrollment in conservative, homophobic or misogynistic churches and religiosity in general, popular types of hip hop subculture that promotes violence, sexism, homophobia, and anti-intellectualism, as well as broadcasts racists slurs and stereotypes, supposedly "tongue in cheek, but broadcasts nonetheless.

When I critiqued these traits in the past on this list, you and others dismissed that criticism, hence my perception about "whitewashing" of the lower classes.

Wojtek