[lbo-talk] pomo cultural lefties who valorize the poor

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 28 08:53:29 PDT 2005

Kelley:
> innacurate, you'd agree? Or no. Can you or Wojtek point out where I do
> this. I'd like to know, since it would help me understand how I can
improve
> so as to say what I mean.

Kelley, you certainly argued from more than one point of view on this list - which is why I make a point of reading all your posts - but some of those views, or cites that you tend to overuse (not as much as Yoshie does, though) do fall into the category in question. If you want a suggestion for improvement, I would spend some time to succinctly summarize these quotations to make an argument. By so doing, you (i) perfect your own thinking about the issue at hand, (ii) reduce the probability of others misinterpreting the quote and using it in other than intended way and (iii) avoid being seen as having the "graduate student syndrome" (i.e. a tendency to cite assigned texts rather than one's own original thinking), which many see as a bad thing.

These are just suggestions - but I think that what you post is generally informative and of good quality.

>Of course, if it just means never rejecting broad
> generalizations about groups of people that has no empirical support, then
> I can't agree to that.

Oh, c'mon. Everyone generalizes in one way or another - it is impossible to think without generalizations. The point is not to avoid them altogether, but take them for what they are tentative hypotheses that are constantly changed and abandoned in the iterative process of discourse.

>That would be betraying a discipline I love.
Are you a sub or a dom? ;)

Wojtek