[lbo-talk] Rap and Detroit

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 29 06:40:42 PDT 2005

> On 4/28/05, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > You have removed this part of one song from it's larger context and you also
> > appear to have missed the point of the song.
>
> And you appear to have missed the point of my post. I'm not
> condemning the song itself, just pointing out that it contains lyrics
> that would almost certainly have got a black album stickered for
> explicit content, and probably condemned by people who don't bother to
> pay attention to things like context.
>
> Wendy Lyon

I didn't miss your point I simply disagree. I don't think a minority artist with similar lyrics to Cash's would have been labeled explicit content simply because it wasn't performed by a white artist. On the CD "Murderous Home" there is an explicitly violent rendition of Stagger Lee and a song called Early in the Morning that is equally violent and yet there was no content label on this album by black performers. Alvin Youngblood Harts "Territory" certainly has equally violent lyrics to "American Recording". Countrycide and Sally, Queen of the Pines both come to mind, but the album received no explicit content label. While I disagree with the silly concept of labelling albums I do think content and context are taken into account when applying them. Perhaps the point you make is valid and I am incorrect. I claim no expertise in this field but the example you have chosen does not demonstrate what you claim.

John Thornton