[lbo-talk] Bill Gates in aid of Indian techies

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 29 09:54:03 PDT 2005

<http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/22/news-reed.php> Sweatshop on the Sea Wanted: 600 computer coders to work for cheap on old cruise ship by MACK REED

[Excerpts]

Two San Diego entrepreneurs figure they have the perfect software-outsourcing scheme: Moor a ship just offshore from Los Angeles with hundreds of foreign developers aboard churning out code on the cheap.

With 24-hour operation, the best (and least costly) coders on the planet, plenty of short-deadline gigs, and unparalleled ease of travel for the American management team, Roger Green and David Cook figure SeaCode can beat the domestic competition like a gong.

"This concept is unbelievable!" IT columnist John Dvorak blogged. "Some people are proposing a slave ship for coders to avoid H1B visa issues to get cheap code. Hey jerk-offs, how about paying Americans a decent salary? We have plenty of coders looking for work. It sounds like a joke, but it's supposedly dead serious . . . It's beyond nuts."

Gary Williams

http://mycos.blogspot.com/