[lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 29 10:01:46 PDT 2005

But students are the customers, and having sex with them is financially and reputationally dangerous to the school, which employs you on pretty cushy terms, among other things. I despised Andrea Dworkin and her "all sex is rape" jive. But, to my eye, the question of prof-student get-downs is, from the prof perspective, all about protecting your own nest and standing on principle. Some things you shouldn't risk. Not least of those is messing up the life of somebody you're trying to help.

________________________________________ From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of joanna Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 8:59 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

We weren't talking about sexual harrassment, we were talking about consensual sex between grownups. There's a real issue as to whether consensual sex can occur between "teachers" and "students"...but then there's a question as to whether consensual sex can occur between any two people related by a power relation. Dworkin's alleged definition of intercourse as "rape" hinges on this perception.

Students and teachers at the college level are both adults and can make  informed decisions about sex. I'm not saying sex between teachers/students at the college level is not a problem, I'm just saying that the category of "teacher" and "student" only partly define men and women, and that there are circumstances in which their humanity and sexuality should rightfully trump these other, insitutionally-defined categories. I also think it would be wise to wait till class is over.

There are legal definitions of rape and harrassment, and these should hold and apply whether you're a teacher, student, fireman, nurse, electrician, etc. Outside of that, consensual acts between adults are just that.

I completely understand that sexual relations with students is considered to be one of the perks of academic employment and are enjoyed as such by many. That doesn't mean that sexual relations between students and teachers are only about that.

Joanna

From: joanna

I understand about the power relations. I do. I'm

not saying it's not

an issue. I'm just not sure that it's as cut and

dry as you make it

out to be.

Agreed. If you dont meet them at work or school, where are you going to meet them? There are so few public spaces in the United States. Of course, then there is match.com....the Internet is about the only public space left.

Pardon the pun, but tough titty, dude! I disagree with Joanna. It's actually more cut and dried than Snit put it. If you sexually harass a student, you are just daring the student to sue the living shit out of the school for failure to supervise. It is a job condition, and a good one.

If you want to meet people to nail in academia, wait your turn, or nail your co-workers like everybody else.