[lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 29 12:48:28 PDT 2005

This discussion reminded me of a very curious thing that was said by a very elderly woman (92), the grandmother of my wife, about love and the internet.

First, I met my wife-to-be in a usenet group. I should say that because usenet groups allow the person to consider their answers, post long (or short) responses to other statements, the post and subject line stays up for eternity and anyone can jump in, it really is a good place to meet people.

Anyhow, because of the stigma involved in saying that we met over the internet, we kept this close to our chests with the general public, but had to be honest with the families. Most of them thought it was indeed rather unusual, followed with questions like "Do you *really* know what your getting into?" etc. But the neatest thing was to come out of the mouth of the oldest. She said that it was like a "fairy tale" and that it "reminded her of her youth"!

What!??? Yes. She said that in "her day", it was common for people to initially meet and correspond by letter. Long term relationships would develop without the two people ever having met each other. They would profess love , talk dirty, tell secrets , etc. all by mail and without having actually met. They fell in love BY MAIL.

It struck me at the time as being a rather ironic turn of events. That the invention of the PC has come around full circle , back to the days of the the preceding centuries when people courted each other by mail. And as such, when you think about it, it was only the period when the telephone and the car were in place that people meeting, and falling in love without having met in person, seemed weird.

Anyhow, I thought I'd present that little vignette for the lists consideration. For me at least, it was rather a startling realization when it first dawned on me.

Cheers <g>

Gary Williams