[lbo-talk] WOODPECKER RETURN INSPIRES JOY, STOKES LAND OWNER WORRIES

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 29 17:03:06 PDT 2005

On 29 Apr 2005 at 17:41, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [most ridiculous press release of the day]
>
> COMPETITIVE ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE
>
> Contact:
> Richard Morrison, 202.331.2273
> Christine Hall, 202.230.4937
>

> Woodpecker Return Inspires Joy, Stokes Land Owner Worries
>
> Rare Bird Species Revives Concerns over ESA Enforcement
>
> Washington, D.C., April 29, 2005-Reports this week that a bird
> thought to be extinct for the last 60 years has been spotted in
> Arkansas caused bird lovers around the nation to rejoice and
> highlighted the need for reforming the Endangered Species Act.

Don't the terms Rediculous Press Release and Competitive Enterprise Institute go hand-in-hand?

My wife had reported to the Conservation Department in Arkansas a few years ago that she had spotted one of these and their response was basically that they get lots of cranks reporting impossible things so please leave the office now. Same response from the Missouri Dept. of Conservation when we reported a cougar in northern MO when we were hiking several miles outside St. Joseph. I talked to a few farmers in the area that had also seen it and it was not an escaped pet it was a wild animal. I know many people cannot tell the difference but many people can. Anyway it is a stupid press release

john Thornton