[lbo-talk] Bill Gates in aid of Indian techies

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 20:08:15 PDT 2005

On 4/29/05, Sujeet Bhatt <sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/05, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
>
> > the real smart people are probably staying back in india, where they
> > have better opportunities and can probably make (cost of living wise)
> > more money, without having to be an h1b/green-card slave.
> You are absolutely right. What Bill doesn't realize is that he will
> have a tough time trying to lure techies away from India, even if the
> H1B floodgates are opened. Beefing up his India operations (he has a
> significant presence here) is a better option for him.

There's always China.

The H1B visa supposedly is only for people who have skills which can't be found in the United States.

I worked at a Fortune 100 financial company and was friendly with a Chinese fellow here on an H1B visa. He told me he had never even seen a computer until he came to the United States.