[lbo-talk] Re: How Americans would respond

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Sat Apr 30 12:03:07 PDT 2005

> Doug:
>
> the left used to be about hope, optimism, the future. Now many of us are
> backward looking, romanticizing peasant agriculture or the horny-handed
> working class of old, quaking with terror over the risks of biotech,
> secretly or not so secretly rooting for an economic meltdown. It's a
> tough package to sell.

There's an old story about a Communist recruiting pitch, delivered before a meeting in the 1930s. The speaker says something like:

"Our Italian comrades languish in Mussolini's dungeons! Our German comrades are working their lives out from dawn to dusk at Buchenwald, under the unrelenting gaze of brutal Nazi kapos! Our South African comrades are being stangled to death with chicken wire in their cells! Brothers and Sisters, join the Communist Party! -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050430/ce03c037/attachment.htm>