[lbo-talk] May Day Greetings from Perth...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 30 17:25:01 PDT 2005

May Day 2005 A Time to Reflect & A Time to Defend our Working Lives 30 April 2005

None of us will stand idly by and allow John Howard and a very small handful of silvertail politicians and CEOs to carpet-bomb our proud history, our Australian identity, and run roughshod over one hundred years of successful social institutions..

Media Release 30 April 2005 Contact: Dave Robinson, UnionsWA Secretary: 0417 060 360 May Day March & Celebrations 2005: A Time to Reflect & A Time to Defend our Working Lives 12 noon, Sunday, May 1 @ Fremantle Esplanade Reserve

Students, church, community and social welfare groups will join together with unions and Western Australian working people on Sunday to celebrate - and to once again defend against attack - many of our most fundamental and precious social compacts.

According to UnionsWA Secretary Dave Robinson, May Day celebrants in 2005 are not unlike our forebears at the turn of the last century.

"Their collective and often painful and bloody efforts over one hundred years ago established the eight hour work day in order that every Australian could also rest and play, could enjoy a full and healthy life with family and friends in their communities.

"Without their selfless efforts on behalf of future generations, we would not have prospered as a country while always maintaining our identity as a people committed to a fair and equitable go for one and all - and a hand up for those in greatest need.

"If they had not prevailed over the opposition of governments and employers of the day, we would not today have a minimum living wage and standards of employment, working people would not have a voice on the job and we would not have reaped the social benefits of Medicare nor enjoyed access to affordable public education.

"On May Day in 2005, we stand together once again to protect our Australian inheritance from the arrogance and hubris of John Howard.

"At the polls in 2004, Howard didn't ask for and we didn't give our permission to change all the rules. While he may have gained unbridled parliamentary power, Howard does not have the moral authority to dismantle the minimum wage, force single mums into work, destroy the social and political life of our university students, make individual working people negotiate the terms of the their employment with big corporations and their lawyers or to silence and strangle unions, their representatives and protectors at work.

"None of us will stand idly by and allow John Howard and a very small handful of silvertail politicians and CEOs to carpet-bomb our proud history, our Australian identity, and run roughshod over one hundred years of successful social institutions", concluded Robinson.

http://www.tlcwa.org.au/news/1114849650_31549.html

****************************************************************** WAGE-SLAVE'S ESCAPE http://www.1steditor.com/Mike_Ballard.html