[lbo-talk] How Americans would respond

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 21:31:05 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 8:42 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Americans would respond

> Autoplectic wrote:
>
>> The horrors of the 20th century are enough to disabuse more than a
>> few humans on this planet of thinking in terms of the 'ultimate
>> destiny of mankind'; it is hubris and megalomania on steroids
>
> Yeah, but that's just the sort of thing I was talking about - fear of
> thinking big ideas. I don't think people with utopian longings should
> be blamed for Auschwitz or Hiroshima.
>
> Doug

Complicity... guilt by association. Occasionally, while "poster childing", someone will try to "dis" me by saying that I'm just as responsible for what's happening. I tell them rudely (and I can be pretty rude...) "Of course I'm FUCKING RESPONSIBLE... Do you think I'd be standing here for fucking hours and days if I didn't fucking feel responsibe? Utopian thinkers need to take responsiblity too, or their "Utopia" will always be a dream & *never* reality.

If you'd rather not... I can introduce you to some "bliss ninnys" or hare krisnas, or junkies, and you should feel right at home.

BTW, the 9 or 10 folks I talked with on the street today about "War, Inc." were of an older age range than I would normally expect... Usually it's UCSC students and an occasional anarchist "road tramp/gutter slut"(affectionate term), but today the age averaged ...40ish, with the oldest in his 80s.

All conversations were initiated by the interested party, not yours truly.

Leigh