[lbo-talk] Book Review?

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:33:00 PDT 2005

On 8/1/05, Tommy Kellywrote:
> Has anyone read any of these books? If so what was your opinion of it?
>
> * "Debunking Economics: The Naked Emperor of the Social Sciences" by Steve
> Keen

this is a good book, though I think it is best read by Econ. grad students. It's a somewhat technical critique of neoclassical economics. Steve rejects diminishing returns, for example, seeing a flat cost curve instead (up to capacity constraints). This may seem too technical to many. I think his critique of Marxian economics is off-base.

> * "A Guide To What's Wrong With Economics" Edward Fullbrook

Excellent! especially the chapter on the "Natural Rate of Unemployment." ;-)

Actually, that's the only chapter I had time to read...

-- Jim Devine "I am not a Keynesian." -- John Maynard Keynes