[lbo-talk] US: A Giant Vacuum Cleaner That Sucks Up "All the World’s Spare Investible Cash"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:12:33 PDT 2005

> On 8/1/05, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> > >See also Harry Shutt, The Trouble with Capitalism, chapter on
> Coping
> > >with the Capital Glut: "the inevitable consequence of
> maintaining a
> > >high return on the capital stock as a whole is that yet more
> > >investible funds will be generated for which outlets must be
> > >found...Hence the effort now needed to sustain the market value of
> > >capital resembles the futile labor of Sisyphus..."
>
> Doug:
> > Hmm, capitalism has travelled a lot more ground over the centuries
> > than Sisyphus ever did.
>
> I haven't read Shutt, but the metaphor looks like it applies only to
> the era of neo-liberalism. The effort to raise profit rates suppresses
> consumer demand, which causes a surplus of capital. (cf.
> http://www.lines-magazine.org/articles/chris.htm)
>
> --
> Jim Devine
> "I am not a Keynesian." -- John Maynard Keynes

John Miller, who is really cute (see his photo at <http:// mrzine.monthlyreview.org/miller160705.html>), writes:

(John Miller, "Dollar Anxiety," Dollars & Sense 257, January/February 2005, <http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005/0105miller.html>) </blockquote>

The question is why so much capital flows into the US. Are returns (whether on US Treasury bonds or corporate stocks and bonds) here so hot, compared to the rest of the world???

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>