[lbo-talk] plagiarism?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 12:41:36 PDT 2005

Doug posted:

The Scientist and the Church Jonathan Nitzan and Shimshon Bichler

Montreal and Jerusalem, July, 2005 www.bnarchives.net

<snip>

In their paper, the Retort group credits us for having coined the term 'Weapondollar-Petrodollar Coalition' - but dismiss our 'precise calibration of the oil/war nexus' as 'perfunctory.' This dismissal does not prevent them from freely appropriating, wholesale fashion, our concepts, ideas and theories...

<snip>

These concepts, theories and facts are far from trivial. Until recently, they were greeted with strategic silence, from both right and left. Their publication has been repeatedly denied and censored by mainstream as well as progressive journals (including, it must be said, by the London Review of Books, that turned down our paper on the subject). They cannot be found anywhere else in the literature, conservative or radical. To treat them as 'common knowledge' is deceitful.

[...]

full at --

<http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/185/02/050731NB_The_Scientist_and_the_Church_(web).htm>

Since I haven't read the offending article I suppose it wouldn't be prudent to automatically assume Nitzan and Bichler are correct.

Having said that...

I read the "The Global Political Economy of Israel", ordering a copy not long after you interviewed Nitzan and Bichler a few years ago. Although I found the entire book to be very intriguing, the 'Weapondollar-Petrodollar Coalition' chapter stands out in my memory as containing a particularly unique analysis, one I haven't seen discussed -- as a target of praise or ridicule -- in the general infospace. No, not even amongst the loftier altitudes of media-dom.

So, if indeed this 'Retort' group lifted without attribution that's bad enough.

But if they went further and claimed the ideas were just floating around the zeitgeisty sea they're completely talking out of their asses.

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/ <<<<<>>>>> "Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends"...Momus