[lbo-talk] Headshot - New International Procedural Standards Adopted

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Aug 4 09:42:09 PDT 2005

> "I can guarantee you that if we have, God forbid, a suicide bomber in a
big city in the
> United States, 'shoot to kill' will be the inevitable policy," the Post
quoted Miami Police
> Chief John F. Timoney as saying. "It's not a policy we choose lightly, but
it's the only
> policy."

Amen! If someone willingly places himself outside the bounds of a civilized society, he should not be able to have it both ways and count on the norms of that society from being hunted down and killed. I wish the same norm was adopted to all dangerous criminals. Earlier this week, a criminal escaping in a stolen car at 140mph in a busy city street rammed into another car killing two people literally on my doorsteps. That would have been avoided, had the police adopted the shoot to kill policy in that case.

Being soft on criminals is another area where I and the US liberal left part company.

Wojtek