[lbo-talk] blog audience "minuscule"

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Aug 4 11:42:37 PDT 2005

But of course, this is the key sentence:

- Herald reporter Jay Fitzgerald, author of Hub Blog and the -Herald's Econoblog, notes: ``The New Republic, the National Review, -the Nation and other political magazines have enormous influence, but -their combined circulation doesn't come close to the readership of -the top blogs.''

I mean seriously, an average of 600,000-700,000 people read the Daily Kos every day. There is no other media of comparable daily or even weekly circulation in the country where antiwar editorials are a daily staple and where denunciation of CAFTA or the bankruptcy bill are the ideological given of the site.

Of course, all specifcally political media pales in circulation compared to entertainment-based mass media, but it's comparing apples and oranges.

Given that the Boston Herald has a daily circulation half that of the Daily Kos -- and the numbers who read its political analyses such as this one are far lower -- shouldn't we dismiss the analysis itself as coming from an insignificant media source?

Nathan Newman