[lbo-talk] Basaev

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 14:17:56 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:> It is quite obvious to me that various shadowy figures, from murderous gangsters like Basaev to deposed feudal theocrats like Dalai Lama, are effectively playing the knee-jerk anti-statism of the US left and other brands of populists as well to their own political advantage.<

Chris Doss wrote:> Don't forget to qualifying "knee-jerk" with "ignorant."<

Here in Greater Tinsel Town, there are a lot of folks who dig the Dalai. But I don't know anyone -- and I've never heard of anyone anywhere in the U.S. -- who supports Basaev. Maybe some Chechnyan-Americans, but I would guess that 100% of the rest of the country either doesn't know of Basaev or doesn't support his cause.

-- Jim Devine "I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -- Jerome K. Jerome.