[lbo-talk] Headshot - New International Procedural StandardsAdopted

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Aug 5 09:53:29 PDT 2005

Dwayne Monroe writes:

> Police are already authorized to use deadly force so any
> discussion of empowering them to via shoot-to-kill methods
> against dangerous criminals is odd and redundant.

Oh come on, that's simply not true. Police officers in the US are authorized to use _apropriate_ levels of force, up to an including lethal ones. The standard they are held to is typically of the form "Was this your only option to do what you did?" -- if you had a less-lethal option and didn't take it, you are in big trouble. "Less-lethal" in MANY cases means: establish a perimeter and wait. This is why we have 3+ hour "car chases" in LA these days: it's a safer alternative to wait until either the car runs out of gas or you can isolate the car for a PIT or spike strip maneuver.

> They [SWAT team] hesitated because they understood that some of
> that Teflon coated ammo they deploy might miss and kill someone else.

Teflon coatings on ammunition do not, as the mythology goes, allow for greater penetration or other kind of performance enhancement. The idea behind teflon coating is to lubricate the barrel to cut down on wear-n-tear from using higher-density bullets in handguns. Your garden variety SWAT team in the US deploys rifles which have whatever level of power they want and they have no need for teflon coated anything.

/jordan