[lbo-talk] Cop Killer Bullets

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Aug 5 13:00:02 PDT 2005

"Mycos" writes:

>> Teflon coatings on ammunition do not, as the mythology goes,
>> allow for greater penetration or other kind of performance
>> enhancement. The idea behind teflon coating is to lubricate
>> the barrel to cut down on wear-n-tear from using higher-density
>> bullets in handguns. Your garden variety SWAT team in the US
>> deploys rifles which have whatever level of power they want and
>> they have no need for teflon coated anything.
>
> Simple bull-shit. The Teflon does not come in contact with the
> inner surface of the barrel. It's purpose is as intended.

I read quite a bit, and would be interested to hear where you've seen this. I present to you a non-political, non-gun pro/con source:

http://www.engineersedge.com/finishing/teflon_coatings.htm

Note the last, uh, bullet. I'd reproduce it here, but there's special JavaScript on that page that intends to prevent cut/paste.

Here's another one:

http://www.worldofmolecules.com/materials/teflon.htm

Regardless, a rifle will penetrate most anything you're interested in; the "cop killer teflon bullet" myth is only a myth about handgun ammo; we were talking about SWAT teams with rifles.

> Let me suggest that your absurd apologies for the behaviour of the
> right do conservatives a disfavor in that people might believe they
> all think this way.

(shouldn't that be disfavour?)

/jordan