[lbo-talk] Wikipedia silliness continues

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 08:38:21 PDT 2005

Chuck:
> Wikipedia is an anarchist experiment, roughly speaking, which is being
> used by contemporary Americans who have been trained to be
> individualistic, competitive, and narrow-minded. To a great extent there
> is some good content on Wikipedia which shows the better side of the
> open-editing concept. On the other hand, Wikipedia needs some policies
> and procedures to deal with problem people *including* problem editors
> who sincerely think they are doing the right thing. ...

In a democracy, not just the grass-roots contributors but also the editors would be subject to such rules. (There would also be some sort of sanction for those who broke the rules.) With standard top-down editing, only the contributors would be subject to such rules.

Either way, it seems to go against anarchism, but perhaps I'm ignorant of what anarchism is exactly. -- Jim Devine "An economist is a man [or woman] who states the obvious in terms of the incomprehensible." -- Alfred A. Knopf