[lbo-talk] health care reform = revolution?

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 6 09:48:45 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Michael Perelman wrote:
>
>> I understood that Japanese life expectancy has a lot to do with diet.
>> On a recent Michio Kaku show, he said that Japanese women have the
>> highest in the world & that women in Okinawa are the highest in Japan
>> -- I doubt that the medical care is better there.
>

> That and other things, no doubt. The point is that we spend a shitload
> of money on health care, far more than anyone else in the world, and end
> up with fairly mediocre outcomes. It may be because so many of us are
> fat and sedentary. It may be that we have so many poor people. It may be
> that our diet sucks. It may be alienation and stress. It may be all
> those things.
>
> Doug

I've always felt the primary reason was likely the American penchant for gouging each other, and then excusing it under the banner of a "free marketplace" and/or pointing to what the buyers (patients) are willing to pay. Naturally, when it comes to quality of life, (indeed, life or death), they're going to pay a lot.

--

Gary Williams

Prohibition Funds Terrorism ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://mycos.blogspot.com