[lbo-talk] health care reform = revolution?

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 11:12:40 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>tfast at yorku.ca wrote:
>
>>For 90% of the population it is vastly superior to what you have in the
>>US.
>
>Sure, but the beauty of the US political system is that we get the
>50th-90th percentiles to vote in the interest of the 90th-100th. And the
>bottom 50? Fuck 'em.
>
>Doug

Nevertheless, John Ralston Saul recently accused smug middle-class Canadians of similar tendencies:

"Canada's Gangrene" - Article by His Excellency John Ralston Saul in the February 21, 2005 issue of Maclean's magazine

It is strange how stingy we are when it comes to human rights. We have managed to codify a few and so are pretty pleased with ourselves. Yet were it not for charitable activity, many citizens would today starve or freeze. Why then can't we pull ourselves into a mindset which sees human well-being, dignity, life itself, as a right. A citizen's right.

http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4383

_________________________________________________________________ Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.