[lbo-talk] Motives of the London bombers

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 16:35:27 PDT 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Besides the Tamil Tigers, who he says invented the technique in modern times
> (and also famously kept suicide vials around their necks), the other main
> example in recent years providing a lot of bodies is the Al-Aksa Martyrs

Lastly, Pape argues that many of the people who have committed suicide bombing under an Islamicist aegis are secular in their motivations. He says the details that don't seem to fit -- like muscle guys in the 9/11 crew who went out drinking in girlie bars the night before -- make perfect sense in his scheme, and are closer to the rule than the exception.

Whereas in an Islamicist motivation scheme, they make no sense at all, so we forget them.

Michael