[lbo-talk] Boycott Wikipedia

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Aug 6 20:45:16 PDT 2005

Um--- why shouldn't they control content.

The whole wikipedia concept is interesting but there's nothing that says they have to keep it working the exact same way forever.

It's weird you are complaining about people misusing wikipedia to write crap about you, yet what wikipedia says its trying to do is essentially stop people from writing crap about other people.

So what is your beef exactly, other than they applied the rule to you rather than to the person who was writing crap on your page.

I honestly don't get the issue from this note by you?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org> To: "a-librarians" <a-librarians at lists.mutualaid.org>; "Anarchy Mailing List" <anarchy-list at lists.village.Virginia.EDU> Cc: <srrtac-l at ala.org>; <IFFORUM at ala.org>; <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>; "Infoshop" <infoshop-news at infoshop.org> Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 11:38 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Boycott Wikipedia

I have been censored by the so-called "open" encyclopedia Wikipedia and I have been blocked by some anonymous idiot for being able to to add or edit posts to the Wikipedia website. These actions were taken against me after a Wikipedia stalker repeatedly violated my privacy by adding crap to the page about me.

I am calling for a boycott of Wikipedia:

http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/

Wikipedia is having severe credibility problems. See:

Wikipedia Announces Tighter Editorial Control http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/05/2012229&tid=187&tid=95

Web's Wikipedia to tighten editorial rules-founder http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050805/wl_nm/media_wikipedia_dc

As a librarian, I am outraged that a prominent Internet reference tool used by librarians is censoring participation by a librarian.