[lbo-talk] new radio product: "I Love Bush! (Not the President)"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 7 08:48:57 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood writes:

> Just added to my radio archive
> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html>:
>
> August 4, 2005 Periel Aschenbrand, proprietor of
> BodyAsBillboard.com and author of The Only Bush I Trust Is My Own,
> on fashion, advertising, sex * Michael Yates, author of Why Unions
> Matter and associate editor of Monthly Review, on MR, MR's new
> webzine, and his post-retirement travels across the USA

Thank you so much for an opportunity for promotion, Doug! You're an angel!

Looking at the August 4th guest lineup, I got a bright idea. Next time Yates gets interviewed, maybe, I'll have him try a new style, inserting the words "sex," "bodies," "fashion," etc. in every other sentence -- "MRzine.org . . . sex . . . Monthly Review . . . fashion . . . unions . . . bodies . . . ." -- and wearing an "I Love Bush! (Not the President)" T-shirt: <http:// store.northshoreshirts.com/ilobunprt.html> (Kumar in _Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle_ is shown wearing a T-shirt with practically the same (but raunchier) slogan near the beginning of the film: <http://www.cafepress.com/strippedteescom/628915>). That way, the audience might subliminally associate MRZine.org with sex, bodies, and fashion! Then again, that won't be Yates, though, and the new persona won't be as charming as he is now.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>