[lbo-talk] Top 10 dot-com flops acccording to CNET.com

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 12:09:14 PDT 2005

I took my own trip down memory lane, back to the era of UUNet, Mindspring, Netcom, GNN, GEnie, and Prodigy, to see what sorts of holdovers might still be around. I discovered Concentric, an ISP I associate with the mid-1990s, is still out there, offering 56k dial up access charged on a per-hour basis. Wow!

I also recall K-Mart's weird attempt to enter the "free" ISP market (a la Juno and old school Netzero) -- bluelight.com. You'd put a banner ad at the bottom of your screen to get the service free. A horrible K-Mart logo was also on the monitor. Of course in a month people figured out to hack it so they didn't have to watch the ads. I guess this was only 5 years ago but it feels like 20.

-B.

Colin wrote:

For a trip down memory lane...

http://www.cnet.com/4520-11136_1-6278387-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd