[lbo-talk] Motives of the London bombers

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:02:35 PDT 2005

On 8/8/05, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:I further think that since males are more likely than females to join exclusive and violent organization, be it a terrorist cell, or a street gang, or for that matter the Marines - this suggests that masculinity, or at least social construction of it, is a non-trivial factor. Add to it the fact that sexual morality, or rather a certain view of it, is what often provokes outbursts of violence - from domestic violence, to gang rape, to bombing of abortion clinics, and to terrorist acts to defend "our women's chastity."

More likely but, far from unheard of. http://www.feminista.com/archives/v5n1/dworkin.html The Women Suicide Bombers Andrea Dworkin http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n21/rose01_.html Deadly Embrace Jacqueline Rose

My Life Is a Weapon: A Modern History of Suicide Bombing by Christoph Reuter trans. Helena Ragg-Kirkby [ Buy from the London Review Bookshop ] · Princeton, 246 pp, £15.95

Army of Roses: Inside the World of Palestinian Women Suicide Bombers by Barbara Victor [ Buy from the London Review Bookshop ] · Robinson, 321 pp, £8.99

http://www.ict.org.il/articles/articledet.cfm?articleid=499 Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Female Suicide Bombers