[lbo-talk] Pacifica and KPFA up for sale AGAIN?

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:06:36 PDT 2005

Sure, there might be a conflict - but that conflict has to do with, as you say, the fact that Marnie is CFO for a competitor, but not because of the 'KSFO' issue. However, the Pacifica bylaws do not prohibit someone like Marnie being on its board. A majority of the board could vote not to allow somebody like Marnie to hold a position such as Tresurer for the LSB. For the record, I voted against her being Treasurer for some of these reasons, I and others who took that position were outvoted.

I have spoken to the other issues in previous threads. I think that there is nothing wrong with a corporation such as Pacifica that has assets seeking a line of credit to for example upgrade its property etc. i.e. to invest the money in ways that would increase the value of those assets, but I do not think it is prudent to obtain a line of credit to cover operational costs when the foundations spending exceeds it income. The Foundation has to implement cost-cutting procedures. The main problem area is with personell. It is a difficult problem to address, but it has to be done.

I am opposed to the approach proposed by Ambrose Lane and others for the reasons I have given and also because Pacifica management does not have a god track record of fiscal responsibilty.

Joe W.