[lbo-talk] Doug and Steve at MRZine.org

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 8 14:21:35 PDT 2005

I made a rollover image with Doug's face for a link to Michael Yates' guest appearance on Doug's radio show Behind the News. It's near the top left corner of <http://mrzine.org>. Move your cursor over Doug's face, and you'll see Yates' face; and click on it, and you'll get to listen to Doug's August 4th program. When you see Doug's image, consider the fact that the picture was taken by Liza in Florence, Italy, and pause a moment to think about whether life has been fair to you.

Also on the homepage is Dr. Stephen Philion's excellent article on the occupation of Iraq (URL: <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/ philion080805.html>). I'd like to put emphasis on the prefix _Dr._, as I got to know Steve while he was still slaving as a grad student, and as you know, it ain't easy to get a doctorate nowadays (the attrition rate is extraordinary in the Humanities [and probably also Sociology]: <http://chronicle.com/free/v50/i19/19a01001.htm>).

As the World Youth Festival began in Venezuela on August 7, I was able to celebrate it with Chesa Boudin's reflections on a year he spent in Venezuela: <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/ boudin070805.html>. Be sure to put requests for the book that he co- authored (The Venezuelan Revolution: 100 Questions - 100 Answers), the book that he co-edited (Letters from Young Activists), and the book that he translated (Understanding the Venezuelan Revolution: Hugo Chávez Talks to Marta Harnecker) at your school or local libraries.

Derek Seidman's wonderful interview with Baltimore rapper The Son of Nun <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/seidman050805.html> is something new for mrzine.org, not to mention Monthly Review (it comes with links to some of the Son's most powerful tracks). I'd like to publish more music reviews, interviews with musicians, etc., so if you have a band or working with a band (like B.) and want to publicize it at mrzine.org, contact me.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>