[lbo-talk] U.N. seeks aid for war-ruined Iraq seed sector

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 12:11:53 PDT 2005

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote: A normal foreign tourist visits Delhi, views Taj Mahal at Agra and moves on to Jaipur/Udaipur in Rajasthan. Radical tourists visit Mumbai slums and brothels ! Pilger is a good example of a radical tourist !

---

You know, I just realized I can't think of _any_ prominent Western left-wing writers who have even visited Russia (off the top of my head -- I may be completely wrong). They just repeat NYT articles with a different slant (under Yeltsin that is -- since the US media is anti-Russia nowadays, they have the same slant). You would never know that poverty (defined as people living on less than the subsistence minimum) has dropped 50% in Russia since 1998 and that practically every Muscovite under 40 has a cell phone. Russia just MUST be portrayed as a vale of tears. It's quite strange.

I have a grudge because I believed them before I moved here and found out to my shock that Moscow was not chock full of poor people (pensioners excepted -- as I've mentioned before, Russia's poor are those dependent on the state for money, because the state lacks money due to the massive tax evasion).

Nu, zayats, pogodi!