[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 12:20:40 PDT 2005

Doug:

...could you take a look at Alexander Cockburn's piece on India <http://counterpunch.org/cockburn08062005.html>

Ulhas:

Most of it pertaining to the contemporary Indian economy is complete garbage.

<snip>

Indian reality is a vast, complex and contradictory reality and I don't claim to be an India expert. But Cockburn is frequently one-sided and his claims are exaggerations.

=============

Is it truly that useless?

Perhaps the problem is the singular emphasis he places on poverty related matters. The United State also manifests a "complex and contradictory reality" -- I could tour the country and, if careful, see only signs of growth, polish and prosperity.

I could also plan a trip that avoided the BMW set altogether and presented the anti-view.

The world of economic growth, glass office towers, waxed cars and fashionable clothes coexists with its opposite: stagnation, a decrepit built environment and despair.

If I write an article or essay, choosing to discuss only lovely, glittering, modern things, am I telling more of the truth than a story that focuses on problems?

Should he have been -- I hesitate to use the word -- 'balanced'? Perhaps spending time with Intel engineers and biomed researchers after visiting slums and distraught farmers?

To cut to the chase...

Cockburn aside, I wonder if any travelogue so structured, assuming accuracy, would have seemed satisfactory?

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/ <<<<<>>>>> "Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends"...Momus