[lbo-talk] re: stock valuation without dividends

Chuck lbo at hvgreens.org
Tue Aug 9 20:17:17 PDT 2005

Doug, Alex,

The present worth of a constant stream of cash flow to infinity (and beyond!) is P = A/I where A is the constant rate of cash flow over some period and I is the interest rate over the same period. However, if the cash flow is increasing geometricly at some rate G, then the present worth is P = A/(I-G) (assuming G < I, for G > I, P is unbounded.) Now, if one assumes that dividends follow earnings or in the case where a company that does not pay dividends COULD BE BOUGHT FOR CASH BY SOME OTHER CONCERN (the other meaning of LBO!), it can be seen why following a stock's earnings is important. For example, with G=0, the present worth of a company with a cash flow of $1 million dollars a year and a discount rate I of 8% is $12.5 million. However if the growth rate, G = 4%/year, then the present worth is $25 million. Fiddling with G just a little has a big impact on the present worth and playing options or using margin magnifies the effect even more. The rub is that nobody knows what G will really be in the future and of course, the trick to investing is to beat everyone else to the punch, so you end up with some really wide swings in a stock's price as investors try to get a fix on the anticipated changes in a company's future earnings.

Chuck Huron Valley Greens (Ann Arbor Michigan)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 8:58 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] re: stock valuation without dividends