[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:26:45 PDT 2005

Re: M Pugliese's posts on dependency theory:

1. It's not like there were no left critiques of it. Seemed to me that the New Left Review of the 1970s, for one, was standardly critical of it. Also, dependency theory was not the only product of the left -- Kalecki, for one? -- nor were all versions of it simply denying the possibility of capitalist development, though all versions probably did deny that capitalist development in the "third world" was going to be a replica of the "first". Anyway,

2. Isn't dependency theory pretty moribund at this time? But,

3. Didn't dependency theory play an important role in its time and context? It's faults may be legion, but I think it's left a legacy that is worthwhile. Does anyone want to revert to modernisation theory, pattern variables, tradition/modernity, stages of growth, and Huntington -- although it does seem at times that, in different language, we are back there.

kj