[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

tfast at yorku.ca tfast at yorku.ca
Thu Aug 11 22:24:35 PDT 2005

Ulhas, this discussion has degenrated to the point of a irrepairable status. If the argument is that India will one day be king/queen of the seas, well fk who knows, why not and who cares. The question that Alex raised was simply how deep the benifits of this resurgent India goes? The answer he argued was not as far as the neoliberals would have you believe at this moment in time. And if history is anything to go by, with some notable exceptions, India's time may or may not come to pass. That is, it is more then a question of time (i.e. in reaction to your argument it took the US 100 years to come of age why pre-judge the sub-continent?). And that is the point, 50 years from now maybe the sub-continent will be the motor of global economic growth and the key geopolitical power; then again maybe it will not. The question, however, is simply this: To what length is the ruling class (in both its parliamentary and economic wing) willing to go to pursue the nationalist dream of Indian restoration? How much will the subordinate classes have to bear the burden of this naitonalist dream? Do they have the capacity now and in the forseable future to ensure that they get a cut of the spoils of a greater India? These are the questions that need to be addressed and struggled with. If all you want to do is to sit at the table with your western counterparts... well then ignore the dark-side of the resurgent beauty that is India today. Although, if I remember the rhetoric of independence it had something to do with establishing a system whereby all the citizens of the subcontinent could sit at the table not just some of you/us.

Travis