[lbo-talk] Better Than China, Saudi Arabia, Etc.!

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:10:48 PDT 2005

On 8/14/05, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Saudi Arabia is flooded with money. Why aren't people
> living better there than in India and Russia?

Since this started with a ref to the HDI, then people in Saudi Arabia are apparently better off than in India -- ranked 77 and 127 respectively.

Ulhas did issue a warning -- "facile comparisons". To which I would add, do read the fine print in the construction of the HDI -- if the interest is to make useful comparisons, and not score points. Also, look at the time series.

So, in 1990, the Russian component of the fSU was up there with S Korea. By 2002, it was considerably behind.

It might also be added that the components of the HDI that give Russia a relatively high score can largely be attributed to the fSU, namely the literacy and combined education enrolment rate. The one thing that pulls it down considerably is that relating to the post-1990 period -- the fall in life expectancy. This fall in life expectancy has Russia with a _lower_ life expectancy at birth than Saudia Arabia!

As for India, well, India's HDI score in 2002 is what China's was in 1985. And India falls below Vietnam, Bolivia, Honduras, Tajikistan, Mongolia Nicaragua, and is in the same class as Namibia and Botswana -- actually, not! as it's actually behind Namibia and Botswana, only falling into the same HDI class because life expectancy at birth in those two has collapsed! How's that for facile comparisons!

kj