[lbo-talk] Asses....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 14 19:21:14 PDT 2005

KANDAGAL, Afghanistan - Frustrated with the limitations of using its fleet of modern Humvee four-wheel-drives in rugged mountains with few roads, a battalion of U.S. Marines has enlisted a mode of transport used for centuries by Afghan villagers — donkeys.

About 30 of the animals have been rented from local farmers to haul food and bottled water to hundreds of Afghan and U.S. troops on a two-week operation to battle militants deep in remote mountains in eastern Afghanistan’s Kunar province.

“With all the smart bombs and the modern stuff in war nowadays, this is the best way for us to resupply our troops there,” said Lt. Col. Jim Donnellan, commander of 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, which is based in Hawaii. “It’s also much cheaper for the U.S. taxpayer for us to rent the donkeys than for everything to be air-dropped.”

full: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8941038

****************************************************************** My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it. My experience has taught me that a man who has no vices has damned few virtues.

Abraham Lincoln

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal