[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 14 20:12:47 PDT 2005

On 14 Aug 2005 at 17:15, mike larkin wrote:

> Do we really need the Hitler analogies? What's wrong
> with these people?

When the far right label behaviours and opinions they don't like as "treasonous" and constantly refer to people they disagree with of as "traitors" does it help their cause or hurt it? None of the accused individuals are guilty of being traitors. None of the behaviours labeled as such in the last few years by right-wing pundits are even close to treason.

While I don't personally like the Hitler analogies I cannot say that it is ineffective in arousing people. Rational arguments will not always be effective. To quote Swift, "You cannot reason a man out of something he was never reasoned into." Not everyone holds the beliefs they subscribe to after long internal debates on the strength and/or weakness of it.

John Thornton