[lbo-talk] Better Than China, Saudi Arabia, Etc.!

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:13:33 PDT 2005

> Speculation -- though there may be some research and analysis backing
> this: The birth rate is in inverse ratio to the status of women. The
> more social and/or individual power women have, the fewer babies.
> Perhaps also a correlation (inverse) with leisure time.
>
> Carrol

I'm pretty sure that most demographers recognize a rise in the status of women as discouraging large families. After all, women bear most if not all of the cost of childbirth & child-raising, while men get most of the benefits (especially in ultrapatriarchal societies).

Also, I'd bet that the more people have access to TV, the less they have children. -- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.