[lbo-talk] pictures from a revolution

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Aug 16 11:28:29 PDT 2005

As I was browsing through stuff in my parent's home, I found a box of old slides taken in 1969 in China, during the so-called "Cultural Revolution." Most of them were the usual family snapshots, of little general interest, however, a few contained scenes that quite accurately reflect the nature of that momentous event - after all it was mostly about theatrics and semantics.

To be certain, the sexier ones - showing the "trials" and public humiliation of Shanghai intellectuals - could not be found in the box. Perhaps these images exist only in my memory. Taking pictures of such scenes was quite risky. I did not speak the language but I could understand quite well what it was about from the body language - the read-cheeked guys in military uniforms publicly humiliating eggheads who strayed from the truth spelled out in 200 or so pages of the "Red Book." It would look very nice on slides, indeed. After all, these trials were also a part of the theatrical show that formed the bulk of the "Cultural Revolution" - as nicely rendered in the film _Farewell My Concubine_ (referred to in the last slide).

Enjoy the show http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wsokol52/album?.dir=4f9e&.src=ph&store=&prodid =&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wsokol52/my_photos

Wojtek