[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Aug 16 12:43:20 PDT 2005

Cox cbcox:

1) So if it's bad it's fascist.

^^^^^^^ Charles: Where'd we say this ? This is a strawperson argument ,and pathetic and obvious distortion of what we have said.

^^^^^^

We can throw out all our other terms of approbation and just it along with "Fascist!" Alexander of Macedon was fascist. Macheath the highwayman was fascist. Colley Cibber wrote bad poetry. He was a fascist. Everything except thou and I is fascist, and sometimes I have doubts about you.

^^^^ Charles: Absurd strawperson fantasy

^^^^^

2) This is a blatant whitewashing of 500 years of capitalist exploitation and oppression. All that time and it wasn't capitalism. It wasn't imperialism. It wasn't colonialism. Capitalism is good. IMperialism is good. We just have to get rid of fascism and we can enjoy a capitalist heaven for the rest of time.

^^^^ Chas.: Approaching nutty strawperson musings. Slanderous to fold our arguments into this.

^^^^^^

3) Mammals are rabbits. Therefore tigers and rhesus monkeys are rabbits.

^^^^ Charles: Really starting to lose it. "Analogy" isn't even close.

^^^^

4) No one is going to listen to critiques of Bush if those critiques are introduced with the labeel "fascist."

^^^^^ Charles: Repeating this proposition over and over won't make it so.

^^^^

It is obvious that Bush is a dangerous man, and that large sectors of his supporters are dangerous. It is equally obvious that he is not a fascist, and you can yell fascist until in the old saying the cows come home and no one is going to pay a fucking bit of attention to you,

^^^^^ Charles: This is question begging. You are shrieking your position on the point in dispute.

^^^^^

and while you are providing this smokescreen for the real threats (which Bush and his allies are) to decency and even bourgeois democracy in the u.s. a long night of oppression is going to take over, because the friends of freedom got more personal satisfaction out of shrieking fascist than they would have gotten by doing some serious thinking about the actualities of the present.

^^^^ CB: You haven't demonstrated that it provides a smokescreen. You just assert it without support. That you can only think of it as being "shrieked" is evidence of your confusion.

^^^^^^^^

5) Let me repeat. Every time you call Bush a fascist you are weakening us in the fight against totalitarianism in this nation, because the real threats will come in a different form.

Carrol

^^^^^ Charles: You can repeat it all you want, but it is you and others like you who might provide a screen for a fascist trend by your obsession with not using "fascist".