[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 13:39:12 PDT 2005

I have a second...

me:
> > I don't see the head of the DLC as representing the working class in
> > any way. (Killing the DLC head would be a form of capitalist
> > competition, not class struggle.) ...
> >
> > The difference, I guess, is that for me fascism is a form of
> > capitalist government, while you [JT] see it as a kind of behavior.

JT: > Make it the head of the IBEW and the Teamsters then. Is this what it would take it to make the use of the term fascism acceptable? <

I don't see the head of the IBEW or the Teamsters as representing the working class in any way. They represent small segments of the working class. That class is very poorly organized at this point in history and with very limited consciousness of themselves as a class. Further, the IBEW and Teamsters are more bureaucratic than democratic organizations.

The words that would spring to mind if Bush killed these worthies is "silly," "stupid" and "criminal."

> It is a form of government but we define it by the behaviours of the people involved. How else?<

an government involves a structure, an institution. It's more than the sum of the individuals who are part of it -- or of their behaviors.

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.