[lbo-talk] Breaking News: Coretta Scott King Hospitalized

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:10:15 PDT 2005

Norman Transcript: Norman, OK

Tuesday, August 16 2005 Currently 74 F High 85 F Low 69 F

CLICK FOR MORE WEATHER

Coretta Scott King Hospitalized in Atlanta By ERRIN HAINES The Associated Press

http://www.normantranscript.com/feeds/apcontent/apstories/apstorysection/D8C14N2G0.xml.txt/resources_apstoryview

ATLANTA - Civil rights matriarch Coretta Scott King was admitted to a hospital for an unspecified condition Tuesday and was resting comfortably, a hospital official said. King, 78, the widow of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., went to an emergency room Tuesday morning, Piedmont Hospital spokeswoman Diana Lewis said. Lewis didn't elaborate on the reason for the hospitalization. King has canceled recent public appearances, raising concerns about her health. At a ceremony paying tribute to the King family at the Georgia State Capitol on June 30, her son Martin Luther King III said his mother was "doing well" and was only abiding by her doctor's orders to limit her activities. He refused to give additional details. "I had a feeling, based on her cancellation of several events, that she wasn't doing well," state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, president of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials, said Tuesday. "I have been praying for Mrs. King every day and I urge Atlanta, Georgia, the nation and the world to pray for her." The Alabama-born Coretta Scott was studying voice at the New England Conservatory of Music when a friend introduced her to King, a young Baptist minister working toward a Ph.D. at Boston University. They married in 1953. They had four children, and she was a supportive lieutenant to her husband during the most tumultuous days of the American civil rights movement. After his assassination in Memphis, Tenn., in 1968, she continued his work, founding the Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change the following year.