[lbo-talk] Russia keen to repay more Paris Club debt -Kudrin

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Aug 17 06:44:01 PDT 2005

Reuters.com

UPDATE 1-Russia keen to repay more Paris Club debt -Kudrin

Wed Aug 17, 2005

MOSCOW, Aug 17 (Reuters) - Russia would like to make further early repayment of its debts to the Paris Club of sovereign lenders after completing $15 billion in redemption payments this year, Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin said Wednesday.

"This year, after we have completed payments to the Paris Club, we are not at the moment planning other measures," Kudrin told a news briefing.

"But I can say that this operation was beneficial for Russia ... and we will continue this policy next year."

Russia has already repaid $13 billion under a Paris Club deal struck in May, and will pay off the balance this month, according to the Finance Ministry's debt servicing schedule.

The Paris Club is observing a temporary moratorium on securitising Russian debts, and Kudrin said he hoped to make a fresh debt reduction proposal before the moratorium expires.

Russia's outstanding debts to the Paris Club should total over $30 billion once the current redemption operation is completed.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.