[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 17 11:03:59 PDT 2005

> > The main ingredient missing to my way of thinking is hyper-nationalism
> within the
> > relationship to
> > corporations.
>
> The problem with this argument is that many (if not most) political regimes
> adopt these elements at one point or another - I can certainly provide you
> with some first hand experienced examples from the other side of the Iron
> Curtain. Fascism, like mental disorder, is a continuum of human/political
> behavior, not a qualitatively different form of it. One of the most
> frequent mistakes of amateur psychologists is to grab a list of symptoms
> listed in the current version DSM and "diagnose" mental disorders by finding
> these symptoms in people they know or perhaps in themselves. The mistake of
> such a "diagnosis" is to concentrate on a selection of symptoms without
> considering their intensity, coexistence with other symptoms, or
> probabilistic matching overall behavioral patterns - which is what trained
> psychologists do.
>
> The same can be said about "diagnosis" of fascism. The forms of political
> behavior found in decidedly fascist regimes can also be found in virtually
> any regime - the difference is that under fascist regime they are carried to
> an extreme. Therefore, to "diagnose" fascism it is not enough to identify
> the mere presence of a few elements of political behavior fund in fascist
> regimes but to identify broader clusters and intensity of such element that
> match those of known fascist regimes. Thus while it is no surprise to find
> fascist element in the US (as it is the case of any other country), those
> elements do not form clusters and intensity level of, say, Hitler's Germany
> or even Franco's Spain. Not even close.

Fortunately Wojtek is qualified to determine who is capable and who is not capable of "diagnosing fascism". Those who agree with him are obviously capable and those that disagree are mere amatuers treading where they don't belong. What a load of crap. Just because I list some features of fascism it does not stand to reason that I have come to my conclusions in the manner in which you suggest. Such pomposity is hardly constructive.

> Labeling US "fascist" is a demagogic hyperbole, which like any other form of
> demagoguery is designed to elicit emotional rather than rational responses -
> or to be more specific - to evoke those kinds of emotion that are
> instrumental in manipulating human behavior, chiefly fear and hatred. This
> is precisely why any rational person should refrain from demagoguery of any
> kind or political persuasion, be it left, right, or in-between.
>
> Wojtek

All those who disagree with Wojtek are now irrational as well? Any other demeaning terms you want to toss out to label those who disagree with you? I will agree that using the term fascist to describe the US is hyperbole however. I just don't think that is always a negative.

John Thornton