[lbo-talk] Church of Satan supports Bush

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:41:08 PDT 2005

http://www.propositionsonline.com/html/uncertain.html
>...In 1971, as a high school sophomore in Jackson, Mississippi, I
wrote columns for the school newspaper taking the "liberal" side of current issues, such as school busing and the war in Vietnam. My "conservative" counterpart was David Bufkin, who idolized William F. Buckley, the founder of the magazine National Review, and occasionally wrote Buckley letters. One day David came to class proudly bearing not only a touching, respectful letter that Buckley had written him in response, and not only a copy of Buckley's latest book, which Buckley had enclosed, but also large button which had been included in the package from New York. The button read: "Don't immanentize the eschaton." I had no idea what it meant, and I don't think Bufkin did, either.

Cut to almost 30 years later. I see the phrase again, for the first time since Callaway High School, this time in the New York Times, complete with a reference to its source: Eric Voegelin's 1952 book, The New Science of Politics. Still ignorant, but curious about what the phrase actually means, I buy the book and read it. It turns out that the phrase is a distillation of the book's main theme.

-- Michael Pugliese