[lbo-talk] Annalee says we all need porn

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Aug 17 23:49:51 PDT 2005

I opened NewScientist, August 6-12 issue---a bored evening---only to find that world famous scientist, Annalee Newitz, was writing on `Why We All Need Pornography', under their Technology section. According to the leader, ``Porn fans are the driving force behind technologies that we might one day all rely on to protect our identity.''

There is a court case in New York in which the US government argues that community standards of decency apply to the location of the surfer, which can be determined through geolocation software. The first court to hear the case failed to make a decision on the use of geolocation software to enforce community standards. The case is now on appeal.

The basic alternative to these government efforts are a variety of software packages and ISP services to mask the user's IP address---hence the Technology lead.

Annalee is footnoted as a `policy analyst at the Electronic Frontier Foundation'. Their web page has an interesting list of court cases on digital rights (http://www.eff.org/) including a few notes and recently released federal documents on the Indymedia servers at Rackspace that were closed down and seized last October.

CG