[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 19 01:42:46 PDT 2005

Our Menshevik in residence, Chris, posted this definition from the horses' mouths. I have snipped some of what Tovarich Doss posted, but Mussolini and Gentile did write about fascism and its connection to spirituality and faith AND dominance/submission as the following quotes demonstrate: ***********************************************

There is no way of exercising a spiritual influence in the world as a human will dominating the will of others, unless one has a conception both of the transient and the specific reality on which that action is to be exercised, and of the permanent and universal reality in which the transient dwells and has its being. ********* Thus many of the practical expressions of Fascism such as party organization, system of education, and discipline can only be understood when considered in relation to its general attitude toward life. A spiritual attitude (3). Fascism sees in the world not only those superficial, material aspects in which man appears as an individual, standing by himself, self-centered, subject to natural law, which instinctively urges him toward a life of selfish momentary pleasure; it sees not only the individual but the nation and the country; individuals and generations bound together by a moral law, with common traditions and a mission which suppressing the instinct for life closed in a brief circle of pleasure, builds up a higher life, founded on duty, a life free from the limitations of time and space, in which the individual, by self-sacrifice, the renunciation of self-interest, by death itself, can achieve that purely spiritual existence in which his value as a man consists. ******************************************

The conception is therefore a spiritual one, arising from the general reaction of the century against the materialistic positivism of the XIXth century.

***********************

Therefore life, as conceived of by the Fascist, is serious, austere, and religious; all its manifestations are poised in a world sustained by moral forces and subject to spiritual responsibilities. The Fascist disdains an “easy " life

We wish the working classes to accustom themselves to the responsibilities of management so that they may realize that it is no easy matter to run a business... We will fight both technical and spiritual rear-guardism...

But imperialism implies discipline, the coordination of efforts, a deep sense of duty and a spirit of self-sacrifice. This explains many aspects of the practical activity of the regime, and the direction taken by many of the forces of the State, as also the severity which has to be exercised towards those who would oppose this spontaneous and inevitable movement of XXth century Italy by agitating outgrown ideologies of the XIXth century, ideologies rejected wherever great experiments in political and social transfor­mations are being dared.

Never before have the peoples thirsted for authority, direction, order, as they do now. If each age has its doctrine, then innumerable symptoms indicate that the doctrine of our age is the Fascist. That it is vital is shown by the fact that it has aroused a faith; that this faith has conquered souls is shown by the fact that Fascism can point to its fallen heroes and its martyrs.

http://www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaster/Reading/Germany/mussolini.htm

****************************************************************** My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it. My experience has taught me that a man who has no vices has damned few virtues.

Abraham Lincoln

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal