[lbo-talk] War protests in LA area

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Aug 19 07:55:48 PDT 2005

>From: sharif islam <sharif.islam at gmail.com>
>
>On 8/19/05, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
>[....]
> > Bush reading novels? That's one accusation I find unlikely.
> >

>http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-bushread16aug16,0,
>636257,print.story?coll=ny-leadnationalnews-headlines
>
>1. Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky 2. Alexander II: The Last
>Great Tsar" by Edvard Radzinsky 3. The Great Influenza: The Epic Story
>of the Deadliest Plague in History by John M. Barry

None of which is a novel. But I doubt that he has read even these. Bush probably has to get an oral summary of a one-page memo.

Carl

I believe your skepticism of Bush's reading list is well-founded. I would wager all I own that Bush has not even attempted to slog his way through the Radzinsky. The other two titles are slightly more plausible, but unlikely. Bush is notorious for his lack of curiosity about the world: why would such man amuse himself with popular histories? But, an interesting question arises: What does Bush do for amusement, now that he had given up drugs and drink? I try to picture the private man and I can't see him doing anything except perhaps watching television. I suppose he likes to hunt and fish, like all good Texas males, but he can't do much of that when in Washington. How does the man spend his easeful off hours?