[lbo-talk] Hypothesis: Jews Are Less Zionist and Pro-Israel than Non-Jewish Whites of the Same Income Group

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 19 15:59:42 PDT 2005

Marvin wrote:

> Yoshie wrote:
>
> > If you compare opinions on Israel among Jews and non-Jewish
> whites of the
> > same income group, though, my hypothesis is that Jews will prove
> to be
> > less Zionist and pro-Israel than non-Jewish whites. Maybe, I
> ought to
> > raise money in order to hire a pollster to conduct a survey to
> test this
> > hypothesis.
> >
> > Yoshie Furuhashi
> -----------------------------
> Hard to know, isn't it? In the absence of reliable polling data,
> all we have are our impressions. Mine is that while support for
> Israel and Zionism is an integral part of North American culture,
> most Jews still have a deeper personal attachment because they
> believe Israel represents a potential refuge for them and, after
> centuries of passive victimhood, they are intoxicated by its
> military power. This is perhaps less true of college-educated Jews,
> where until recently they were a disproportionate part of the
> liberal and radical left, and therefore more inclined toward left-
> or anti-Zionist positions

A majority of Jewish Americans are college educated: "A quarter (24%) of Jewish adults 18 years of age and older has received a graduate degree, and 55% have earned at least a bachelor's degree" (at <http:// www.ujc.org/content_display.html?ArticleID=60654>). The survey is from 2000-1, so, by now, even larger percentages of Jewish Americans must have bachelor's and graduate degrees. As the Right complains, college campuses are the least Zionist patches of earth in the USA.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>