[lbo-talk] Quebec separatism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 21 08:11:33 PDT 2005

Marvin Gandall wrote:

>She will make a fine representative of Her Majesty. The Canadian
>left has developed a new attachment to the monarchy since the
>announcement.

The controversy over whether they were closet separatists arose while we were visiting Quebec. What's happened since?

So what about Quebec separatism in general? We were struck by the way signs and plaques referred to the "national" capital of Quebec City (and the dueling historical markers - vaguely pro-English stuff in two languages mounted by the Canadian gov't, and monolingual pro-French stuff from the Quebec gov, promoting an almost Balkan level of resentment over historical losses). And it seemed from touristic observation that even Montreal was a strikingkly non-"diverse" city - has Quebec nationalism kept out/driven out immigrants? What's the analysis/position of the Anglo Canadian left on Quebec?

Doug